Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fond old memories and new horizons



Cindy and me over 20 years ago. She didn't get docked for jumping this log because I leaned forward and grabbed the lead rope around her neck to make sure I stayed on; I'm using an english saddle so the control judge called it a cued jump. LOL, it was my first time trying distance riding and the 2 quart canteen I had bought and was carrying was coming loose from its strap and I was hugging it with my offside arm and I leaned forward and grabbed the rope cuz Cindy was cruising to catch the horse in front of her and I just knew she was going to jump that log so she could gain a bit of ground :)

I found out later that horses would often get points docked in NATRC for hopping instead of stepping over or across things --Cindy loved to jump and always jumped safely so tried AERC endurance instead and found that it was a much better fit for my personality. Cindy was not really an endurance horse, she didn't switch off and relax and eat at the vet checks. She was great in the 25 mile rides because she wouldn't run out of fuel that quick and she had awesome recoveries. I wonder if she is all racing in the rainbow meadows or is showing off her 'dance moves' too. Lord that mare could move in fantastic ways.



Here is Sadie at the trainers yesterday. I think she is going to be a fun endurance horse, I think she may prove a bit hardier than Shade and will probably be hard to distract from eating. Hopefully that is going to be really true and not part wishful thinking.

No comments: