Sunday, October 31, 2010

good grief --6 mice since 8:30 am

Its about 11:30 am now. This is with 4 traps. One trap got 2 more mice while I was getting the horses grained. Yes, I'm slow, especially slow lately mixing various medications in the grain, but I guess that is a prime eating spot. So today its a good thing I am not a photo blogger. One mouse had just got its leg caught :( I heard him squeak right after he was caught so he was not trapped and scared for long at all before I whacked him with a chunk of board and gave him the desired swift end. I moved that trap a bit so hopefully it won't get any more mice just by the leg.

Good old Walmart had the re-useable spring traps by Victor. I had looked at ACE hardware last week and they only had trap and toss models. That would not have been cost effective so I would have had to just set out poison instead.

Later I will put up a pic or 2 of Sadie. I visited at the trainers yesterday and got to see Sadie being worked. I posted pics to a board, doing my part to give it some nice topics and keep it going.

4 -no it was only 3 more mice with broken necks when I rode Grey. I just left them because I wanted to give Grey an adequan shot. Getting his joints lubed up for the west slope trip. Ole stalled 200 yards down the road so I turned around, tied him to his trap, and rode Grey a bit in the paddock.

I want to give Shade a monthly maintenance adequan shot also. She has not had any since her labor day weekend ride actually. Well she has been on sick leave and vacation also so I don't think she really missed it but I do want to keep her lubed up as well as I can. I'd love for her to get to 3000 miles which is a long shot since she only has 1400 now and is starting to have this arthritis but I really really want her to have 2 more good years before I start backing her way off and riding Sadie somewhat seriously. That would put Sadie just 6 years old so hopefully Shade will have a 3rd season where she is primary but I am riding Sadie on 2nd days of 2 day rides etc.

No comments: