Friday, October 15, 2010

I killed a mouse today

It was in my feed barrel -I have one that doesn't have a cover, a teeny little mouse. I tossed a lead rope in for it to just be able to run out but it wasn't leaving and I wanted to feed already and get to work after having farrier out so I started whacking at it with the knotted end of the heavy lead rope and once it was stunned or dead I scooped it out with the plastic scoop and then stomped its head to make sure it was not dying slowly. I really really need to get with it and set several traps in the feed room and get that population down, every time I'm in there I see and hear the mice running around. I don't mind a couple cleaning up the feed I spill but they are getting into the good feed and I am way over due to thin the #'s down. I kept hoping a bullsnake would move in this summer, we used to have one that hung around but I haven't seen one around there these last two years so I'll just have to trap and toss for my rodent control.

Another nudge that yes I was/am correct and it is time for Cindy to cross the rainbow bridge. I had L trim her front feet. Cindy was uncomfortable standing on the Left hind to have the left front foot trimmed. Right front was not bad, since she could just balance with the bad hock leg. If I weren't so stupid I would have given Cindy bute 1st thing this morning before L came but I didn't think to do it. I probably should have just skipped having her trimmed at all but I was thinking I didn't want to have extra stress on tendons since I think Cindy has DSDL -well not really the full blown stuff from a bit of quick internet reading but I think her tendons and ligaments have lost elasticity with age and will tear easily.

If it were just arthritis she is having enough good days with bute and is keeping weight on yada yada that I would just do a long term bute regimen like we did with Duke getting 1 bute tab 3x/week. But I've had a strong, foreboding in my gut that Cindy will suffer a nasty 'breakdown' tendon bow type injury this winter if I try to cling and keep her here; I've had regrets for waiting too long after just a bit of "oh is it really time yet" whining from the parents for a couple of pets and I wont go through that with Cindy. Especially when I don't trust the parents or someone doing chores to make a quick call if I was gone. Thats why I scheduled for end of october. I'll be gone on the hunting trip with dad and N for 10 days in early November.

No comments: