Wednesday, February 16, 2011

GRRRRRRR-ENT/primary doc shuffle

I called the ENT office again this morning. The receptionist told me that my primary doc needs to treat my sinus infection. She could call the on-call ENT doc for antibiotic advise or refer me for urgent surgery but the referral I got gets me an appointment on April 12th. 8 weeks. I could not just stumble along for 8 weeks even if my symptoms had not escalated last night. But they did escalate to the point that I got maybe 3 hrs total of sleep because I could not get to a point where pressure had been relieved and I remained comfortable except for maybe one hour after taking my last very old tramidol pill and icing in bed for a good long time (not even my pill, it was from an old pet prescription for one of the dogs) and then after taking 4 ibuprofen gelcaps after I had applied hot compresses for 20-30 minutes to get to a point where the pain was not nauseating me and I could eat something to buffer the ibuprofen and then icing in bed again for quite some time before everything eased off and I was able to stop icing and doze off. I was so tired when I woke to more pain that I was icing, which was making things ok while I was doing it and I kept nodding off --the jerk of the ice bottle on my arm would then wake me. My doc is out today, the nurses say they passed my phone request for 'antibiotics and something for symptom relief' to doc covering her patients. I got to feeling a bit better after noon and drove on into Boulder rather than trying to communicate "well place prescription with Brighton Walgreen and I'll pay full price" I don't think I'll get a whole lot of work done though.

**I did however find a new weapon, sniffing steam with peppermint oil in it seems to loosen some of the crud in my stuffed sinus. So I brought my peppermint oil to work. I'll use the eucalyptus or spearmint at home.

**I now have an allergy appointment for skin testing on Feb 23. One week. I can keep taking sudafed, supposed to halt mucinex for 3 days. But I'm not getting a prescription for pain/swelling/congestion today because I was not coherent enough this morning, and my doc is at home today and just checking messages periodically. Oh great, just got a message from doc passed on from the nurse that I should make allergy appointment --but NO pain or steroid prescription. I am going to have to beg for that I guess. Sigh, I hate to beg but I can't handle many repeats of last night/this morning.

No comments: