Monday, February 7, 2011

Diamond gave me a small scare sunday

He was NQR or ADR (not quite right /aint doing right) when I gave all horses some feed around 2:30 pm. I had to ask Diamond to get up and then he sort of lipped at his feed but didn't really eat it. I tied Frosty up so Diamond could eat in peace if he started. Went back and got some sand clear to dump in both mini's feed. Diamond did not finish his feed and would not eat at all when I took it away and offered him just sand clear. He was not in any active distress so I just informed mom of his status and went back to my couch. One thing about being sick, I didn't pester the horse with lots of activity just to make myself feel better that I was doing something for him LOL.

When I fed hay around 5:30 pm Diamond came over and investigated the hay pile but left to lay down across the driveway from Lady, Sadie and CJ's pen after a few minutes. I dug around until I found the old bottle of banamine and some probiotic, found a 20 gauge needle and pulled up a half dose of the banimine, deciding I would give it IM since Diamond was not in serious pain and I didn't fancy trying to get an IV shot into a wooly mini without even having good daylight. Mom was ready to go out and hold flashlight --1/2 time of the superbowl and when I walked out Diamond was eating at the hay pile with Frosty. So I grabbed just the probiotic. I don't know if any of that made it into Diamond but he was "get out of here and let me eat" attitude so I wasn't too worried. He had good appetite when I went out at 9:30 pm and again this morning so I will treat both mini's with sand clear for a week. It is most likely either a sand issue or a bit of tummy upset from the weedy hay I had given them -- I was throwing extra flakes so they could get some grass and just leave the weeds for mulch but Diamond may not have been selective enough.

No comments: