Friday, December 10, 2010

farrier day today

I made the mistake of catching Grey and Shade first. I was thinking I would let fidgety Sadie and Lady continue eating hay and the day keep warming, but what happened was the wind came up right as Shade was done. Lady was acting like a brat. After a while when the "no you cant have my foot shenanigans were escalating" L noticed Lady's neck was about as rigid as a statue with tension and spent a couple minutes rubbing her neck and making Lady look at L instead of away and Lady relaxed a bit. So then I rubbed on Lady's neck while L was working and Lady stood better and L was able to finish up. As far as I know L has a good customer base so I'm not putting her name out, I don't want her to get too busy and not want to come out anymore, its a hefty commute for her but she has said she has other customers in the area so hopefully she can schedule things to minimize driving. I gave her $20 extra for christmas tip and because of Lady. I gave her extra last time too because Cindy had been hard to get her front feet done. Well L has been charging less than R used to do so giving a little extra is not hard to do.

Sadie was pretty good, moved around a bit before standing and letting L have a foot but she stood pretty good while L had her foot. Although she nipped my hand a bit right at the start, smartass little wench, doing it when I wouldn't go John Lyon's "I'm going to kill you" for 3 seconds because L was working under her. It was not a serious "I'm pissed" bite, but is wasn't just lipping my glove for any flavoring either. I was able to prevent any more nips just by paying close attention and gentle bump of her nose corrections when she was thinking about doing it again.

No comments: