Saturday, November 27, 2010

YAY - beautiful sunny weather

I have not checked freezer but I do not think we are cooking any big meal, there has been no mention of it. I rode Sadie on thursday. It was a bit cold so I grabbed her since she is at a 90% stuff on the ground stage. Since I am prone to over heat fairly easily it is really working out for me to have this super green stage during winter. I rode her for maybe 10 minutes, resisting getting greedy and asking her to trot. She was steering well, walking ok but not quite striding out with confidence. She thought about scooting when I dismounted but I checked her up with the inside rein like Jo showed me and she responded and stopped and then I got completely off and gave her atta girls. I think it may result in teaching Sadie to stop if I am falling off, that would be a bonus.

Friday I rode Shade and Ole got to come along and play in the prairie dog patch. We just went a few miles, I don't get very ambitious this time of year but it was fun. I would have liked to have an electric collar on Ole for the last bit of the ride; we had passed a guy riding with his dog. I was about to the spot where I put Ole's leash on to make sure he doesn't harass the one neighbor's wild rabbits in her pasture and yard when I met him so hopped off and put Ole's leash on a bit early, no big deal, walked Ole past the rabbit place driveway and hopped back on Shade to ride the last bit home. We were nearly home when Ole started hesitating --the guy and dog were coming back and about to the corner into the neighborhood road, I had to get behind Ole with Shade and then the cur went in the ditch and was heading back towards that corner so I asked Shade to hustle a bit and jumped off and grabbed Ole's leash. I sure would have liked to just be able to give him a jolt for ignoring me, but my general experience with electric devices, especially battery ones has so many failures that I hate to shell out money buying a new collar and I think buying new batteries for his old one is a waste.

No comments: