Monday, November 15, 2010

OH CARP!

I feel so terribly responsible. I told the perl genius with root permission that we needed more disk space on /pub. I had previously asked folks to move /pub/user/folk files to the /pub1/user area. Conceited bastard did not follow my suggestion of how to copy files to /pub1/pub/user which would have for sure preserved them. Instead he used some fancy cp -i -a /pub/user to /pub1/user.

-i should have asked for interaction before overwriting and -a should preserve files but golly gee whiz. the empty /pub/user/niceguy area has wiped out all his files on /pub1/user/niceguy.

Its not really me that did this; but because I said we needed space and just voiced things and the fancy pants root permission guy did things not quite the way I said the files are gone. DAM DAM DAM!

Addendum --example of a liberals mindset. repetition because I am doing a copy/paste from posting on a bb.


Late yesterday afternoon the perl/database guru who has root permission along with the sys admin was in a hurry to get files moved over to a working area. I announced we were out of space on the raid where the data would go and suggested he copy /pub/user/people directories to the other raid (/pub1/user/people) since not everyone had moved files over as I asked them to do before I went on vacation.

Instead he did a rm -rf of /pub1/user and then started copying /pub/user over to that raid.

Today's response from him. Well we cannot back that up as a system admin level. People know they have to use mass store for secure backups and /pub is subject to user (or root errors)

Yeah -- people also know that raid disk arrays are fairly resistant to disk crash losses of data and pushing files to mass store takes time. But it is our (I am one of the people that had been using the raid with more space ) fault that the data is gone. He cannot even feel responsible and apologize for screwing up.

This is exactly how Rush is always describing leftists. They are not capable of even admitting to themselves that they were wrong, it is always someone else's or fates fault. Still interesting to see it in action in a real life scenario vs. the more abstracted public policy stuff.

>>>Oh WOW>>>> it is 3:40 the day after he removed all these directories and there is still no email about it>>>
Perhaps he called people and told them directly or emailed them directly but I am rather surprised that there is not an email with possible remedies for missing data, and I would be included in that list since I also had a data area removed. How strange; does he and the sys admin think that ignoring this will make the problem recede?

>>>As he walks out the door he says "sorry about your data" Well what about all the other data? I am not going to inform everyone that I think may have had a data loss. What would I write 'Oh sorry but "not me" erased your data? and I dont know if he or sys admin will even try to do a restoration' Umm I am not gifted in PC speaking/writing at the best of times, I'm pretty sure anything I would write would come off 90% or more as finger pointing.

No comments: