Sunday, April 18, 2010

posting quick while ISP is up

I was forced to journal in a word doc while the internet ISP fussed earlier today.

Dang, my ISP is down and it is really bugging me. I want to see if there is an update on a friend’s mare. Poor D, her mare has suspected EPM and was getting a round of dex steroid treatment and got laminitis from the dex. D was stressed and struggling before the laminitis hit. The mare is under saddle but D never rides her as she gets nervous and then the mare gets antsy, and mare is in upper teens I believe. One thinks horses will thrive into their 20s and this has hit out of the blue for D; she has had some fears that mare’s melanomas might grow and interfere with digestion and had been mentally fortifying for maybe having to make the call and not let mare starve on her feet but not for this. I wish I could give her a big hug.

I have to get some new books. I have a couple that I have only read bits out of. Both are so distressing I cannot read them for any length of time. Steyn “America Alone” on how the western world is having such a failure of confidence that people are not even having kids. Oh dear I am part of the problem there and adoption is the only thing I could do now. Except I doubt I would pass any adoption screenings : Single, rent room in parents house rather than completely independent household, good job but not many deep friendships …. and I am not prepared to practically buy a child anyway. Nope, unless I date and marry a widower with kids I won’t be doing any child rearing. I should do some research on possibility of sponsoring a child in country and then offering to host them for college.

The other unread book is Hewitt, “War against the west” OMG reading how bloody minded the jihadists and arab state agencys dealing with them are is so nasty I can only stand a small dose and then I don’t pick that book up again for ages.

I want to try getting an ebook on my computer. I developed some tendonitis years ago when I was a voracious fiction reader and I think I have some subconscious fears of that returning. I also have a sort of ADD in reading, I like skimming blogs instead of focusing on a book after making forums and blogs my reading sources for several years. I did enjoy the online novel I read so perhaps ebooks will help me get back in the habit of real reading. I need to get something that is not horribly heavy reading as well. I may buy Palin’s “Going Rouge” book this way. I think that might be a good medium between ‘just mind candy fiction’ and overly heavy books that do not expand my mind since I can’t stand to read them.

Argh, it’s a foggy morning and I really wanted to surf a bit. On the plus side I got the check ready to mail to the county to renew my little trailers’ license tag. $51.xx I like the convenience of the little trailer for day trips but right now it feels like I should have gotten a midsize gooseneck instead of getting a BAT and having 2 trailers. But I don’t think right now is a good time to try to sell 2 trailers and wouldn’t want to spend the mental energy. Sometimes I think I could handle having an interfering spouse, but they would have to persuade not tell and be willing to drop things when I was unwilling to go with their idea and somehow I think that’s a tiny subset of people. Most would either want the wife or gf to do all the planning or would try to be totally controlling.


******************Afternoon entry ***********************************************************************************

Well I didn’t trailer anywhere to ride. Did have a nice ride of about 10 miles on Shade. Ole should be a good dog the rest of the day. He went enough of the distance to get pretty hot. There is no water in the irrigation ditch, and yesterdays rain was so slow and not all that much that is just soaked into the ground everywhere.

Dumb dog should have listened to me when I told him to hang out in the tree grove while Shade and I went on and across the highway. There is a bone pile near the grove where I think someone dumps goat carcasses so it should have been very inviting for the dog to hang out and wait for me to come back.

I took pity on Ole as we were heading back and gave him a little of my water. He did get a little bit in him dribbling from my bite valve. I guess I’ll have to make sure I at least have a baggie and a bit more extra water if I let him tag along again when I am taking a longish ride before the irrigation water is running.

Then I told him to hang out under the trees and cool off and take the short way home and Shade and I were going to take the longer way (adds 1 mile). I don’t know just how he went but he was heading down rd 6 after I made Shade dink around looking for him for a few minutes back towards the irrigation ditch and tree grove.

My internet worked for a bit around lunch and is down again. Sigh, if this is going to repeat much at all I’ll have to change providers or at minimum upgrade my Hughes net modem to a newer model. I don’t want to think about it, I just want it to work dangit.

No comments: