Monday, April 12, 2010

Aw Cindy



Here she is about 6 weeks ago. Such a sweet eye. Cindy is 28 years old and saturday I noticed she was running on 3 legs to tear out to the pasture for grass. I put an easyboot on with very dilute iodine soaked cotton in case it was an abscess. Later in the afternoon I decided it must be a ligament issue and put a support wrap on her and called Dr Mike. He'll be out tomorrow. Cindy is coping well but if she steps wrong and zings herself she jumps and then stamps the ground with her toe. If its a tear and maybe even if its 'only' a severe strain I will probably put her down, pause to wipe away tears. Yes ligaments heal and can heal even on such an old horse but she has had sidebone issues forever and I feel that I cannot risk her injuring a 2nd leg and being in utter misery until she is put down. I rather send her across the bridge still happy than have that happen.

But trying not to cry before I know. I feared the worst when Grey cut his hock last fall and banged hell out of the bone as well as cutting himself but he healed up fine. I will change Cindy's wrap today. I think it has worked loose and I need to go around her heel and support things that way. She'll get some cool green salve too which should feel good.

No comments: