Friday, April 23, 2010

I heart my farriers

They have not all been perfect but they all believe in keeping the horses they work on happy. I did drop one that was not balancing feet like I wanted (not enough heel, even after I quit having him shoe with a too small size) Mom still uses him and I may switch to him for Cindy. I loff L, but Cindy did have the suspensory stuff 2 days after the trim and L did use leverage on the toe to keep Cindy from taking her foot back. Mom's L (heh that is confusing) is really wonderful with the oldies. I don't think my L was using excessive force, and the injury showed 2 days later and was likely a bad step, but now Cindy could use some babying of those legs. I can afford the extra charge. And we have had a horse or 2 noticeably sore after a trim with different farriers but they both were properly sorry, made notes and were careful not to take too much hoof again.

I would be beyond pissed if I got someone with a mindset that there is a perfect hoof shape/angles etc and my horses would have to get used to it if that farriers ideal made them sore. I cringe for horses owned by folks who think its good horsemanship to force to an ideal and accept 'no pain no gain' blather from a farrier/trimmer if that ideal is not right for their specific horse.

No comments: