Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I wonder how many people who fear Newt were saying Perry needed to drop out

Did they think Santorum would get Perry's support and hang in tough until Newt imploded again? I suppose some thought Romney would get the support. I checked out the wikepedia on Romney and he doesn't sound awful. I feel like I should get a copy of it so I can see if they change it to highlight negatives later, but solid business executive. Came back and saved original Baen when it was faltering after he had been with Baen Capitol. Masscare is a liability, although if the Supreme court strikes Obomacare down it becomes much less so.

I have not heard any of the debates and everybody has a bias but it doesn't sound like Mitt is selling himself well at all. If he is not proud of being a great CEO and earning lots of money as well as turning around the SLC olympics and reducing spending in Massachusetts he should never have been running IMO. If he thinks he should not toot his own horn he does NOT get politics well enough. I want him to say "I worked with the legislature to stop handing towns and counties money and make them pay for what they wanted to spend out of their own revenues and I will do the same with a federal legislature that wants to bail out spendthrift cities or states"

Newt is a political animal. I don't trust that he truly believes in any conservative principles, but he has picked up on the mood of the primary voters darned well and I do think he is more likely to stick with the Tea Party sentiments in office, he'll know that is his only chance to do something to earn pages in history books and/or get re-elected, not sure which would be higher incentive for him. He scares me as giving the DNC and MFM lots of ammo, but there is plenty of ammo against Mitt as well and w/o actually reading Sowell's article itself, the point that either candidate will be attacked by the MFM and needs to be able to talk to voters over the MFM's heads and sell themselves is a damned good one. If only there was not the fear of Newt going off an a wild tangent and derailing himself or worse derailing the conservative movement along with himself.... I don't know that I can go to the caucus and argue for either of them. Got a couple weeks and I could always go, but focus on local stuff (which I'm totally not aware of what is going on, I'm bad)

I just don't think safe guy Romney is that safe of a choice in terms of general election, unless he can become inspiring. Also doesn't matter how honorable he is, if he is buying into the notion that "government has to solve most of these problems" then he will not be able to reverse our deficit crisis and start shrinking the debt. Government sucks at solving problems -- the government workers don't want their reason for employment to go away after all.

No comments: