Monday, March 21, 2011

weekend riding report

Saturday I rode Shade. I thought I should go 5 miles but I turned back early as we were headed towards the hwy when I saw 2 dogs playing in fields the other side of the ditch. Just seemed easier to have Ole not even notice them or they notice him. It was hot enough he probably would not have even felt he needed to go join in playing but I prefer just avoiding any potential issues. I did end up doubling back for Ole 2-3 times so probably was close to 5 miles overall anyway.

Sunday I longed Sadie a bit. I left stuff out all winter and the cotton long line picked up a bunch of stickers :( so I elected to just use the biothane line. I think it is 25 ft. A bit short for canter work so I moved in a smaller circle when I asked for some canter. Ended up by asking Sadie to walk both directions after she had settled down. I don't want her to think long line work only means trot and canter anyway. I did not even bridle her, figured I did not want to mess with ground driving/ long line work her first time being messed with in nearly 3 months and I'm so clumsy with it.

Then I rode Lady. Went about 3 miles plus a bit extra waiting for Ole but it was cooler and he kept up better. Maintained a fairly brisk gaiting and canter for 1 mile. Lady seemed to be doing pretty well then but she got all sweated up cantering up the hill and doubling back waiting for Ole. Some part already being warm although I hadn't noticed sweating I suppose plus her "hurry home and get back to my buddy Sadie" kicked in I think. I tried doing some halts and then just half halts to keep her closer to a walk on the way home. I think I will pursue this a bit and see if I can get her to walk the last 1/2 mile home. I do not like a horse that is rushing home and even when I can make her gait slowly she is still mentally rushing and keeping herself hot and bothered.

No comments: