Thursday, March 3, 2011

Farrier day today

I started with Lady, last time I left her and Sadie until last thinking they would munch extra and it would get extra warm and toasty so they would be easy to work with--and then the darned WIND came up and complicated the working with the goofy Paso Fino and youngster. So today I caught Lady first, she let me walk right up and halter her. She did NOT volunteer to stand for Laura but L had a strategy, Lady got to back up until she decided maybe standing still would be easier. I must remember to tell K this if she takes Lady as I think it will be THE best way to get her to stand for getting her feet trimmed. Lady gets all worked up if one just tries to hold her snug so she can't go anywhere and grabbing a pinch of shoulder skin freaks her out - Doing that usually works well with my AYRABS if they are screwing around not wanting to stand and get worked on but perhaps it has been a prelude to some unpleasant stuff for Lady anyway it just makes her worse. So after a few backing sessions Lady stood pretty nicely to get her feet worked on for a while --then she was not going to let Laura do the final back foot, kept doing forehand turns so she got to back up twice more and finally stood still again. Goofy little brat.

Then it was Sadie's turn. She was pretty good, she kept sneaking back from Laura every time a foot was set down, but she was not trying to move around when Laura had a foot. We had wonderful warm sunshine and no wind and this really helped keep the ayrabs feeling sleepy and standing nice. Grey almost fell down when it got around to his turn, the dufus.

The dogs were both so intent on going over the hoof bits after I put Grey away and paid Laura that they BARELY moved for her to get out with her pickup, I was just about LMBO watching them while I got the driveway gate for her.

I slept well last night and woke up before my alarm. I *THINK* the antibiotic has got the sinus infection in retreat and I am on the last few days of cold symptoms that I'll have.

No comments: