Monday, July 29, 2013

Mixed bag weekend

I dropped Lady off and even while I was at the centered riding clinic and could not touch base with DL I felt a sense of having moved a slice of stress off my plate. 

I found out Sadie dislikes crowds even worse than I do and she was acting like I had brought a horse barely broke to tolerate a saddle when we did big group exercises (12-14 horses in the arena) at the clinic.   She was OK for the small group work, my group was only 3 but even there she was a bit goofy if another horse was passing her or following even at a very decent two lengths distance.  Oh well no one got injured.  I still learned a lot and it was good exposure for the little wild child.  I just felt bad that she was unexpectedly acting like such a wild child and adding stress for the other clinic attendees. 

I think I'm a bit the scapegoat for another person whose 8 year old horse with a lot more arena exposure with other horses doing stuff also shocked their rider by being overwhelmed and that horse reacted to it by turning into a witch wanting to swing her butt over at other horses and I think even throwing a few warning kicks although nothing close or with real intent to connect.

  Oh well, that mare was also was OK for the small group exercises and I don't really think Sadie set her off as Sadie's little scoots or mini-rearing episodes in the big groups were never close to that mare, the mare was perhaps dealing with a big group + being in serious heat the first time together or previous arena experience had involved plenty of other horses in the arena but never working together, passing each other and so on.  

No comments: