Friday, July 19, 2013

4 miles yesterday, 5.5 again today.

L came out again today.  Another successful ride although it was sketchy for a bit near the start.  L was all "eek we can't ride our normal way  the big excavators are working" and I was "its nothing, I went by them yesterday,  led on the way out and didn't even have to on the way back"

I could have stayed on today as far as Sadie goes but Lady was picking up on L's freakout so I got down and led to make sure Sadie would stay in front and not be pausing to eat or doing any "I'm not sure of this" pivots like she does.   I looked back a little later and Lady looked to be on the verge of doing a rollback and scoot for home in spite of having her buddy walking calmly in the lead, so I grabbed her reins near the bit to lead her; then Lady was still nervous so I moved Sadie to my offside so Sadie's body and mine was between Lady and the excavators and then Lady was fine.   LOL, it sounds so spazzy when I type out doing this. 

I don't like to have L just get off and lead because the time we did that this winter when the neighbor was target practicing Lady knocked right into L's shoulder when Lady got startled and nothing has changed as far as Lady's general ground manners or L  making it clear to Lady that horses are never allowed to knock into humans.  I knew it was slim odds Lady would smack into me cuz she knows I'd go apeshit on her for a few seconds if she did; but I don't mess with the ground work enough to have that translate to every human and L just does not begin to project "don't even think about dissing me by bumping right into me."  I don't know how to teach that and L passed on the clinic I offered to pay for her to attend that would teach that.   My convoluted sounding method worked fine and really was pretty trivial actually doing it. 

No comments: