Sunday, July 1, 2012

Well that was weird

Went to my centered riding clinic.  Sadie was a nut case and I had to use Shade in the clinic.   Having a buddy is better for at the trailer but so much worse for going off to do something by themselves.   I should have remembered this,  I had so much frustration hauling Grey and Shade to rides together with them acting like fools for pre-vetting.    But I think Sadie was not ready for the clinic even w/o that effect and I  got some good riding improvements that should help me get Shade lighter on her forehand so her arthritic fetlock won't catch and cause so many little stumbles.    I tend to ride too forward and that makes the horse heavier on the forehand --sounds so obvious but it was a lightbulb moment for me, I had been having angst about the stumbling, thinking it was the arthritis getting worse --now I know I can greatly reduce the stumbling even if there is an element of fetlock stiffness with it happening.   

When it was time to go the organizer came over to say good-bye to the gal parked next to me and said she was waiting to make sure K had no problems with her youngster.   I suppose she watched w/o interfering as I got my mares loaded.   I had to make Shade give up her preferred  open slot and load first (well maybe didn't have to but I did it) and get a second lead rope so I could keep Sadie's head pointed the correct direction.  I was initially thinking 'WTH wouldn't H help me?' but I have decided its probably a vote of confidence really.  If she thought I was going to have a bad situation that might place the farm owner under any liability bind or been bad for my young horse she would have stepped in, or if I had asked for help I'm sure she would not have refused,  I do like to load by myself if I can,  I don't want to start any dependencies where I couldn't haul out unless there is loading help along.  

3 comments:

Gerrick said...

Centered Riding?

Like center of gravity?

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Kind of center of gravity. All about thinking of your center being in your pelvis and then turning from the center. Keeping shoulders up over the center instead of leaning forward, breathing from the diaphram/center.

Lots of stuff like that. Its the techniques Sally Swift developed. Really helpful for endurance/trail riding as well as the dressage ring.

Gerrick said...

That was English, yes?