Thursday, January 6, 2011

Joining the sick list

I just got a prescription from my HMO. They did it over the phone. Wow, last time I had a sinus infection it took forever before it was maybe bacterial rather than surely just viral. Well this time I did say I had yellow snot. Which I do what little actually comes out. The nurse also said I had refills for flonase so maybe I can get the nasal spray that will work but she probably doesn't know if the pharmacy is making substitutions or not. I need to be back on what I was before. The latest switch only seems to give my bloody noses, doing nothing to keep the chronic swelling down. Ugh I hate being sick and I knew that giving in to tears of frustration over P not feeding 1/2 the hay I meant to be fed while we were gone might push me into a full blown sinus infection; but I couldn't completely control them right away. I hope 3 lousy days of antibiotics will be sufficient, the nurse gave it because I had it before. That was my year of having a SI for several weeks. The usual SMZ equivalent didn't knock it so then they gave me what I think the nurse told me she prescribed now (Zethromax?? or something that sounds sort of like that) , which didn't work back then so then I had it again along with a steroid taper, had a few days of relief then relapse and then I went to acupuncture and chinese herb place rather than have NOTHING while waiting over 3 weeks for some fancy scan. The chinese herbs cleared up the remaining problem, scan showed clear --I did not cancel in case something came back again.

This time I will go to the acupuncture and herbs place as soon as I can get in if the 3day antibiotic doesn't clear things up. I hope I can get this licked quickly this time AND have another 5+ years before the next one. I am pretty diligent with preventatives and thought I had broken the cycle of having a SI every 1 or 2 years and had the trick(s) to preventing them. Hopefully I will not have them more than every 5-6 years anyways. I am having such a hard time focusing today and I am blaming the interrupted sleep and distracting, although not painful pressure I am feeling rather than vacation hangover etc. LOL, its good to at least have a good excuse.

No comments: