Monday, January 5, 2009

winter doldrums

Except its been breezy many days. Just too cold this weekend to want to do much. Somehow I am very very rarely inspired to tackle indoor stuff. Well I guess thats reasonable. I mostly should toss stuff and who wants to cart stuff outside when its freezing? Well thats my story and I'm sticking too it for now.

I did have a lovely ride on Shade to start the year off right, and I took Sadie out on sunday.

I had her and Shade out for grain, then put Shade away and opened the connecting paddock gate so there was some playing going on. Sadie was wound up but she quit dancing around so I could untie her and backed nicely so I could open the driveway gate.
She was full of energy but mostly keeping her nose in the grass. I loff this trait, bodes well for future endurance career never being too excited to want to eat. The neighbor horses across the road got a little stirred up seeing Sadie in the ditch -they were in their pens about 40 yds back from their pasture fence that borders the road -- then one got its leg hung up a bit in the panel

So I tied Sadie to their fence right by their driveway gate where its a sturdy post and panel gate on one side of post but still twisted wire fence on the other and ran and knocked on their door to let them know. Thankfully they were home and got the horse extricated quickly. Normally I would have trailed to make sure they didn't need help but with both of them home I hustled back to get Sadie; I don't normally tie horses to a wire fence, let alone 20 month olds on very brisk days.

Sadie did good though, she was pacing a bit as the lead allowed but didn't get extra wound up or paw at all. I finished our walk to the corner, then she had the edge off her appetite and was in go mode on the way home. I didn't let her have extra slack in the line -dont trust her yet if I would get behind her butt, she pranced and even did some 2-track at times when I put my elbow out to make sure she didn't crowd me but she never dragged me or ignored the elbow. Sure hope she stays sound and healthy, I think she's going to be a fine trail partner in a few years.

No comments: