Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sadie has her first completion :)

I have to get some unpacking done and get the pics I took downloaded (none on trail this time) but I am happy.   Tired but happy.   Did the 30 mile LD at Mountain Mettle on Saturday.    M had volunteered to ride with me "I'm going slow but my mare is bold on trail"  Sounded perfect but we started behind a Kenlyn group that was going fairly slow but Linda knows how to pace and I knew she'd finish in good order,  the pace felt good for Sadie but M and her horse were impatient to go faster after a couple of miles.  So I told her to just ride on, I was going to stick with this group.   That worked out pretty well for both of us I think.   We both finished anyway.   M had blisters because her horse fought with her wanting to go faster some places but she was happy to find the mare was sound after having 6 weeks off for a lameness issue. 

I was so impressed with the 4 year old mare Linda was riding, leading the way through slick rock and over bridges like  a pro.  Did get ancy when she was in the back at one point (was worried about bogie monster from behind) and wouldn't eat on the trail so I'm not envious of Linda.  Cindy did that "cant pause for one bite of grass' and never got over it so she was pretty much only an LD horse cuz she could get through those before hitting the wall.  Linda's young mare may well mature out of the 'gotta get back to camp can't even pause just a titch to reach down and grab one bite of grass'  but I'm glad that Sadie loves to eat.  It worked out well for Linda having me tag along with her too, because I was able to direct her the correct trail to take a few times having ridden the 12 mile trail with M on her other horse on Friday and studied the ride map more than Linda or G had done. 

Sadie continues to get more relaxed about other horses on the trail and was leading and in the middle of the two Kenlyn mares at times as we rode with no fussing about it.   She was so nicely relaxed at the vet checks that Georgette was able to vet her.   It was great to see Georgette vetting a ride,  I had lost track of her a few years ago after hearing she'd had a stroke.   She was moving carefully so must have some balance issues still but it was wonderful having her vet a horse of mine again.  

I locked my p/u keys in the cab Thursday night.  So much for brilliant thought of 'just put the keys in the ignition in case someone needs to move it in case of emergency.'   I bumped the door lock button as I was reaching in to do that and my mind did not click when I heard the "ok locked" beep.   But  another camper saw me trying to get a coat hanger worked in the door frame on friday morning and failing and came over and rescued me.   He said he'd locked his keys in same model of truck a lot and had to get in that way.  I hadn't been being aggressive enough on prying the door away from the cab to get the wire in and was thinking it wasn't going to be possible even though I'd had someone rescue me from locked keys in cab with my old dodge that way years ago. 

 Picture is of Sadie this morning after the ride.  I took the shells off this afternoon.  She did a great job of taking care of herself. 

No comments: