Sunday, August 10, 2014

Riding journal catch up

I rode 5 miles Thursday.   I was late getting started but was swapping offices with someone at work (which my boss was in a bit of a snit about - 'I would have quashed this if I'd known')   If I had not wanted to swap offices with B I would have gone to boss to quash it but even though the offices are next to each other I felt it would be helpful to be a bit farther away from distracting loud talkers.  So since my new office was possibly not even going to be set up until Friday I rode and didn't worry about lateness.   Turns out the office was ready early but I didn't worry about going in an hour or so late.

Saturday I slept in and decided to spray weeds right away after haying horses and then it got hot so I only took a quick 4 mile ride after 7pm.   It worked out fine.

Rode 10-11 miles today.   Quite a bit of trot and canter but Sadie got some short eating breaks in there.   She is such a great eater and general take care of herself horse I love it.

I am on the verge of buying a 4 year old horse being advertised in Cheyenne.  Related to Ls mare that I was so impressed by at Mountain Mettle ride last week.    If it were a bay horse I probably would have contacted the seller by now.  I am trying to figure out *why* I consider chestnut color as a bit of a negative,  I've always thought that I believed a good horse can come in any color but I look at ads and tend to pass over paints (Sabino is the accepted arabian horse term I guess) automatically and ding chestnuts too.

 I know my paint bias can be rationalized because white legs can be more prone to 'scratches' skin infection horses can get on their legs, plus white faces might have sun sensitivity etc.  but there really is no logic with chestnuts.  We've had some decent chestnut horses in the family but they have never been mine.  So only sentiment from having bay as my first horse and then having greys with GreyMoun and Cindy can explain me thinking 'darn I like the conformation and pedigree but the horse is a chestnut.'  

 Even with all my earlier logic to myself that with Lady plus Shade and Grey being retired but needing care and would I ride enough for it to make any sense to have 2 riding horses I am still wanting this 4 year old.  Realized how much when I didn't see his ad and was like 'CRUD I missed my chance' and was all relieved when the ad was there when I looked again.

And I've always tried to live the "if you can't say something nice just don't say anything"   It is hard when I think I should offer some kind of condolences or support to be nice because I almost always do but my head is just going 'selfish liberal, I want to shake you' so I need to 'say' nothing rather anything with that meaning slipping in.   Must give myself permission to just say nothing, most folks are not going to connect the dots to know that my 'silence' has any meaning. 

No comments: