Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sadie is sporting new shoes on front feet only

Other than to be a big enough client to justify his drive there was no reason to have him touch Shade or GreyMoun.   He said they both had good trimming and he only rasped a bit on Shade and barely took any hoof off Grey.   Which in a way is nice reassurance that it was not wrong to be keeping with my old farrier for so long but OTOH its not a warm fuzzy that the new guy is going to be way better for Sadie.

  I do think her new shoe job looks better than when I had D put on fronts back in May but not a huge difference.   I guess I'll find out if he has her balanced enough that she doesn't step on the shoe this time and the thing with the endurance is that even small faults in shoeing job can cause big issues with the # of miles we do.

I'm just not 100% confident that all faults are gone and holy cats it seemed expensive.   Probably not much more than my old guy if he was not giving a cash discount so if this is going to work well for Sadie I'll probably stick with this guy but as it was it was like paying for a full shoeing job and 2 trims.    I skipped doing her backs cuz A) the hoof boots fit her hinds better,  B) she stood well but I was concerned she'd decide she was done before he was if I went for shoes all around and C)  all the above stuff.  

Sigh,  I wish I was like L seems on the boards.  Seems like every new product, vender, service provider is just the best thing ever  WooHoo.  I'm always cautious on 'is this better or not?'   Is it worth the extra dough?  etc.   Worth quite a bit to me to keep Sadie sound since I'm sentimental and will keep her and feed her anyway so making sure I can ride is definitely extra value but we shall see.

I make my own sunscreen makeup powder on Sunday.   So far seems to be working,  my skin does not feel irritated and isn't breaking out in a bunch of zits and I haven't gotten sunburned.   I have the tone a bit too pale but I was tired of messing with it and decided its paler than my tanned skin but pretty close to my ears etc so I'm calling it good.  

One thing I'm glad I did was use ginger for a bit of yellow tone.  I had gotten a couple "don't do this making your own stuff you'll ruin your lungs" hits searching for the recipe and was like "harumph I can mix this w/o inhaling a bunch of it"   --I did not even read the scare articles but after putting more oil than the recipe called for in my mix I was still getting powder up my nose when I was applying it to test the color and would it stay on etc.

  I KNEW I was inhaling some powder because I could feel the ginger.   So I added some sunscreen cream I found until it went on w/o the ginger up the nose feel.   W/O reading the article I suspect that applying the zinc and titanium oxides daily if they were too dry and fluffy would be the health concern rather than inhaling some while mixing it up unless one was trying to start a home business and making bunches of it to sell every week.

No comments: