Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Bought stuff. I so love Amazon :)

Was looking for sunscreen powder and read a review of one that was "you could buy this stuff and make 10x batches for this price,  plus that one had no coloring it was just white"   So I looked up some 'recipes' and bought the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide powder and some bronze color mica and will mix it with arrowroot or corn powder and should never run out and have to use greasy sunscreen on my face again.

I did a search for leak-proof sprayer and bought one.   Had to laugh at one of the poor reviews "I did not factor in how heavy 4 gallons of spray would be, its too much for me"    I had *better* not have to fill it up for it to work or I'll write a seriously scathing review since most sprayers work fine just starting with 1/4 full or whatever.

Bought batteries for the GPS pace and distance watch receiver.   Now if I can find the actual antenna part and get batteries in it  I should have a tool to keep track of pace riding Sadie w/o buying something special.   I plan to buy just a basic heart rate monitor from super nice tack vendors at the next ride.   Decided it would be good to have more tools/info getting back into the distance riding with the Sadie so even though that stuff usually breaks or quits on me I'm going to try using some for a while since I'm not dialed into Sadie like I was with Shade.

I may have to avoid FB for a while, or if not altogether at least skip some posts.  I am not even FB friends with the irritant but seeing post(s) on group and from other folks who asked to friend and I did. And I'm feeling churlish for being annoyed by her "WooHoo,  son is WINNING on new horse and we got great awards for it"     She is a good horse person and if a horse is off they don't go out or they pull or slow down as needed and its not awful to enjoy winning as long as horse welfare comes first -- but that kind of post still often bugs me;  I guess because the posted verbiage does not go into the horse welfare comes first and is just "YAY we WON and the loot for winning was great"

OTOH I am so impressed by another riders development.  She rode in a 'winning is the only thing' manner and was winning on horses not ready for the speed and ended up with lame horses after a season when she started but with her DD getting into the sport in a serious manner and probably because of that getting mentored by a top level 100 miler rider she really seems to have the right attitude now.   She still rides wanting to do well but I really think she is doing the homework/moderate miles to get a good base first before going for speed now and enjoyed the experience on a tough ride rather than kvetching about the tough, probably 5-10% long, and not glow-sticked for all the night miles that had to be ridden course.    Adults can learn better sports and horsemanship :)

  Maybe there is hope for me to learn how to ride faster and still feel like I'm doing the horsemanship stuff OK and being a good sport, polite to vets, volunteers etc.  I've always worried that tired + caught up in possibility of winning might over-rule my best instincts and have tended to hold back (and have not had a great horse so little temptation to push the envelope)


No comments: