Monday, August 25, 2014

In Baseball a .500 average would be great

In distance riding not so much.   But the first pull was me entering a ride last year just to get exposure for Sadie when I knew she wasn't ready for more than a fun ride but the management was not putting on a fun ride that year.   I could have just ridden her w/o entering but I wanted to support the manager and be on the ride insurance just in case, plus the vet exams were part of the exposure I wanted Sadie to have.

This is what I put on FB this morning.

Thanks so much Yvette. I had a great time again this year, the vets were so wonderful. I would have liked to have had Sadie legged up to complete again the second day, but maybe next year. I so appreciated the vets looking at her so I had confirmation of my feeling that she should not go the last loop. Having a sound horse this morning is priceless.

That is all true.  I am still feeling a bit deflated though.  I was wavering on whether to even enter the ride the 2nd day.  Should have gone with not entering in hindsight but I am pretty sure that Sadie IS FINE this morning and that is the important thing.  And I had a blast 80% of the first loop.  I bought a HRM from Flattop Tack on saturday afternoon (was not on the ball enough to get it before that days ride)  I remember years ago when I used one on Grey I often looked at a high reading in sand or up hill and thought "oh this must be wrong, his HR can't be this high"  

 Sunday with Sadie I was looking at the rate and going "I don't know if this monitor is catching all the beats or keeping up when we go to trot or up a hill because these numbers are pretty low" .    Then her HR was higher the last couple of miles of that loop on level ground but into a strong wind,  I think her LH leg was starting to get a bit sore at that point.   So the HRM is going to give me great extra information to know if Sadie is tired or sore and WOW she rocks with her cardio system.  Hopefully her legs can toughen up and handle the hills and rocks that are a part of most of the rides around here.  If the legs can catch up with her heart and lungs she'll be awesome at this sport.

No comments: