Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Ugh, going to have to buy a heat gun to try glue on hoof boots

I had hoped to skip that PITA sounding step.   We live on sand hill so normally the horses' feet are pretty dry.   But it is monsoon season and rained about an inch yesterday and still drizzling today.  

I had a mini-meltdown yesterday.   Was spraying burrs even though I knew it was good chance of rain and got to the gate to our pasture area and the bare spot there was just FULL of goatheads.  I did get it together and when dad said he needed to hook up the mower I said nicely that I wanted him to work up the goatheads first and he did that.    He got rained out before doing any mowing but that is no biggie.  I'm pretty sure its too late to do the pasture any good this year anyway.  I'll still have him knock the weeds down to be neighborly so the weed seeds don't go in the neighbors's lots so bad but next year need to mow right away when we have the horses stop grazing and then repeat and maybe put some weed spray on it.

I had asked dad to call someone with an ad for corral cleaning and another with field mowing and he said "I can just mow"  but did call the skidsteer guy for me.   He was going to come today but called and canceled because its raining at his place this morning.  We may not get any of the rain today but waiting is no problem.  I should either place an ad for help wanted or call some of the ads from folks offering services and see if I can some general labor but getting the pens cleaned will be a nice start to my new goal of "stop trying to do so much yourself,  use the salary while its there to hire stuff done and ensure that you are enjoying life instead of feeling like a serf for the Dems"

I talked to someone on FB and decided to ride Sadie on Saturday (which was my original plan) rather than Friday.   M has ridden the trail the LDs take on Friday and she said there is a steep and NARROW section that drops down to the river + horses have to cross a bridge to the vet check.   Sadie would probably be fine to lead down that section but with this rain it may be muddy and I'd be gasping to lead up it + although she is quite good I could see a bit of wreck happening if someone came up behind her.    Plus M offered to ride with me on Saturday,  said her mare was bold but she was planning to ride slow and that sounds just perfect for Sadie.

And been musing wondering what causes internet BB forums to die.   I'm on 4.  One is huge and I never post and go for months w/o reading but I like to look up stuff on their farm care section and if I get a jones for those type posts I know there is lots of content.    The first one I joined seems to be shriveling up and dieing off.   There are multiple factors and FB is one,  so much easier to put pics there and doesn't feel silly to put just a two line update.    The other is the moderators were "Grrrrrr to some posts they considered pot stirring but would let some chronic stirrers go and now neither of them even posts anymore although one did get called and came on just to scold someone for posting something that was a bit anti-progressive."    3rd factor is the other 2 boards.  One existed before I joined and some folks considered it to have a mean girl vibe and started the one I originally joined; I joined it at a time when I was annoyed with mods of original board and go once in a while to read posts from one person that does ranch classes and writes fun threads about that.

and the other was started so that a group of us conservative horse owners didn't have to self censor ourselves --but especially with FB drawing off some contesnt that kind of splintering has led to a pretty small pool of posters.  The small conservative group is still going,  it has lulls but folks still check it and respond when someone does post.    Original board seems like its dying,  threads looking for advise will still draw some responses but a lot of general posts only get 1 or 2 responses so that just strengthens the "why bother writing something more detailed,  I'll just put this on FB and most of the old horse BB friends will see it there"  

No comments: