Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sadie's audition for the dog and pony Show

Thats what I call it when I pony a horse and the dogs are tagging along too. We got just a few hundredths of rain overnight. Settled the dust, and at least the mtns got good snow this year so the reservoirs will be full for irrigation and most of the hayfields are irrigated -and being just a few acres of sandhill we never get serious grazing anyway. But the sun was shining and it was quite pleasant this morning and since I rode Shade Tues and again Wed to beat the weather, I decided today was as good as any to see how it would work to ride Grey Moun and pony ms Sadie.

So I tossed the LJ over my supracor on Grey and grabbed Sadie and went down the road a little over half a mile. It was fine. Initially Sadie wanted to hang back and just follow Grey Moun and I let her, but then her normal personality came out and she wanted to see if she could cut in front --uh no missy we dont do that. Grey showed her how the best part of going down the road a bit is the 1 minute grazing breaks, not that Sadie needed much showing, she's an eater.

When we first turned towards home Sadie was being a pretty good pill, really trying to take off and cut in front of Grey or bump and turn him and throwing a fit when she put the lead rope over her nose (I may want to use the other halter with a fixed ring instead of a slider next time we go out). But Grey is such a good boy for me and only did a bit of prancy trotting as I held him back and dealt with her. We got her sorted out and she led pretty well after that few minutes of tantruming. CJ was running the fence when we got back. He's so happy to finally have a horse, especially a mare, that he can boss around a bit He's not mean about it, just knows he's bigger and Sadie yields to him, so he thinks he's finally Da Boss Man. ROFLMAO

No comments: