Thursday, April 17, 2008

Annual vet visit today

The annual SCHEDULED visit for all the equines. We've been having Dr Mike give spring shots as well as giving everyone a once over and I have blood pulled for coggins tests on horses I may haul out of state every spring. None of my horses needed any dental work today so I got off relatively cheaply.

Shade and Sadie were pretty good girls. Especially Shade, what a change from the mare that had to be snubbed tight to a V-notched tree and twitched for shots and gave a complete rodeo when she cut her hock (talk about a horse resisting tranquilizing!) when I had only had her for 3 weeks. Its been so good for her that I do the endurance/distance riding so she comes into a lot of contact with vets who just give her a quick metabolic check and watch her trot and don't have to treat her. Now she isn't so suspicious from the get-go she doesn't even react to the vaccinations, it helps that Dr Mike has a pretty deft hand for doing them.

Sadie was a very good girl too. Her only misbehavior was squirming around instead of standing nicely, but heck she is a just barely yearling AY-rab --its HARD for her to just stand still. Grey and Cindy were ok and mom was holding them while I caught other horses. Grey pushed thru the gate when I was taking Cindy out though. He's gotten to be a brat about that. Maybe he's getting bored with being laid off.

No comments: