Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The forecast made me do it ....

60% chance of rain or snow tomorrow and a high of 40F when I peeked at the wunderground forecast so I HAD to ride Shade again since I don't like to ride in cold damp weather - I only do that when I've driven many miles and paid an entry fee already. We have enough dry weather I don't have to ride in the rain to get plenty of saddle time. Ride in the wind yes, in the rain, no.

So 5 slow miles for the conditioning logs and Mia came about .7 miles and then took herself home when we got to the stickery stuff. I would have preferred she just waited in the prairie dog town near the corner till I was done because I don't trust her car sense but she did make it home okay and I didn't have sad doggy eyes begging 'take me for a run ' from either her or Ole when I finally got myself in the car and rolling towards work.

And Calvary is holding his own. He looks plumper already, he must have been dehydrated, its too soon for him to have put on non-water weight. V put Diamond in the adjacent pen so he has a buddy right there all the time and he's happy about that. Diamond seems to think its okay not having to compete with 4 other grubby mini's for hay and has been visiting with Calvary nicely --as well as sticking his head into the pen for some food snatching, lol. I have been putting a tank heater in Calvary's water barrel any time it might freeze so he has 24 hour access to water w/o having to break ice and drink the icy cold stuff. They both got heaters monday night when we know it would freeze pretty good overnight I'm pretty sure Calvary didn't get heated water all winter. T had lost a mini from a defective tank heater that some farm sitter put in a tank early in the winter.

V did have to help Calvary get up on monday again like I did on sunday but I haven't heard about any more cases of that. He's either sleeping only on his feet, or has gotten enough strength to get up. If its warm over the weekend I do need to clean his sheath . Its full of sand and his belly is often damp right in front of it, poor guy. I also want to get 2 or 3 of our little loader scoops of sand in C's front pen.

No comments: