Friday, February 15, 2008

A year ago







I was getting ready to drive to eastern Kansas to pick up my foal, who was still growing in Shaks womb. We had over a foot of snow on the ground in our yard still and I'd had to get from truck bumper facing trailer hitch to getting hooked up by moving the trailer with our tractor (with dad's help) so I could get the p/u turned around and hitched. I trailered to Chris's place on saturday. Stayed the night and we went to TroyLynns to visit her and Leonardo (my foals full brother 23 months older than her. On the way home I stayed at Colby KS at a horse B&B after stopping at Hayes and meeting Deby. Shak had a nicely bedded 14x14 stall and I had a luxurious room. Shak hardly ate or drank overnight but I enjoyed both the bed and great breakfast the owners served. I gave Shak some mash from chopped timothy to hydrate her for the trip home. She was much happier when she saw the humble setting (with no stall door) that would be her home for the next few months. Then on Apr 28, 2007 I woke up to find this. I wanted to name her after a star when I saw she had a small one and settled on Sadalbari, the arabic word means 'Lucky Star of the Excellent One'. So BRA Szybki's Sadalbari was named and instantly nicknamed Sadie. By the next day she had learned to use those long legs and was already scratching her head with them. (photo out of order ) Today she looks like this. She loves to eat --a trait I love to see in my future endurance mount.

No comments: