Tuesday, September 3, 2013

catching up on riding log

After riding Wednesday I skipped Thursday and Friday and just did insect and weed control stuff before work.

Saturday I rode about 6 miles, did some canter in the field that isn't planted.  Its pretty good footing not an intense workout like a deeply cultivated field.  It was pretty fun.

Sunday dad and I went to White Ranch open space and did some trail riding.  My fun day for the weekend.   Sadie and Razz both did pretty good.  Sadie led a lot at the start but she got hesitant at some technical stuff and dad made Razz take the lead the last third of the trip.   Met lots of bikes and some hikers, everyone was very polite, just as I remembered this place being years ago.    I had some energy at the end of the ride, even after removing hoof boots from Sadie so I decided it was time for her to go back to riding in the 2nd stall rather than getting to have the very back which I'd been doing to make loading extra easy.

Monday I just sprayed and did some hoeing and bagging of goatsheads.

Today I took a three mile quick ride,  then had to have dad drive me back to search for Ole (well I could have just driven myself but I'd had a lead on him and I wanted dad to drive in case I ended up walking trying to spot if Ole had got the lead hung up)   He was making his way home so we just gave him a ride the last few hundred yards.   I should have made him stay home I suppose since it was fairly hot but he really wanted to go and he is OK, just took a few more minutes of my day.

I suggested to the folks that have Lady that they should send their draft cross to the trainer his former owner used to use for a tune-up before the 12 year old girl takes up riding again after breaking her collarbone.  Collarbone was not a horse-fall injury but the horse had been acting up a bit with her before she was injured and they posted on the horse board that he did some little "twist and jump" and dumped a little gal that was riding him on Saturday.   They had invited friends out so the daughter 'could ride vicariously.'  Lady was very good for various tweens riding her, so that is good.

But I also volunteered that if their budget was too tight, I could take him for 'a short boot camp' session when I brought Lady home since I saved having to feed her a fair amount of hay while they've had her.   I can barely believe I did that.  I try to maintain a personal policy of not riding other peoples horses as I am no trainer.  But the horse does not need training,  I don't think even remedial training, he is just taking a bit of advantage and could use several rides from someone who will not allow, let alone make, any excuses of "he is grumpy because he is itchy from deer flies, or he was jealous of Lady...." if he acts out in any way.  Plus no deer flies at our sand hill so his itchies would probably clear up.   I thought of offering to come ride him  there, even making up some excuse of having to come early and stay later at work for collaboration with european and asian counterparts but could take a long break midday and he is much closer than going home --- but he lives on 300 acres and I'd wear myself out if I had to hike up the steep hill to catch him to ride,  if they can't just send him to a trainer and have the girl take a lesson or two which would be the very best option but are open to having someone with decades of riding experience give him a wee tune-up I'd rather just haul him home, ride him 4 times a week for a couple weeks then haul him back. 

  I am on of several people on the board that has been vicariously reliving childhood horse love via this girl and we are all inclined to want to ensure that nothing happens to dampen her love of riding and I'm a bit worried that with the collarbone and lay-off, the horse might be too strong for her to manage if she has to start with a horse that needs to be worked through anything the first few times she is back in the saddle.





No comments: