Friday, September 20, 2013

I need to take pics of Ole's incision --which is now a gaping hole

Almost all his stitches ripped out and he has an over an inch hole in the skin on his hip.   So much for being proactive for his health by removing the pre-cancerous lump.   I hate hate hate when I was trying to do a good thing and end up with an ugly mess.  

He is getting antibiotics from the vets and I am resisting my urge to puff wonderdust on the wound.  repeat after me "He is not a horse,  he is not a horse he is not a horse"   Vet's recommendation is to put nothing on it and wash it off with water if he gets it dirty.   I want to create a scab but dog skin is different from horse skin so I'm so far forcing myself to just leave it.    I did look up dog wounds on the internet and they has some huge open wounds which presumable healed so that did make me feel a little bit better. 

L was out thursday and we had a good ride.  She went into one of her paranoid statements, "I'm afraid Ole will get infection and lose his leg "  which pizzed me off so I took off cantering.   I needed a good canter anyway so it was all good in the end but I cannot wait to ship Lady back to the family in Golden this summer, god willing and the creek don't flood as the saying goes.

2 comments:

Gerrick said...

None of my dogs ever had holes in them.

I didn't know that dog skin reacts differently than other animals.

Interesting.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

It is mainly that dogs are such lickers even with the collars so they are likely to end up ingesting topicals. We got a plastic no lick collar that is working better now and the wound has gotten fairly dry on its own so I think it will start the healing process soon.

Ole has had many little holes in his skin over the years, usually on a front leg and I could put a shirt on him to stop the licking. When he is chasing a prairie dog or rabbit for fun he isn't very careful going through fences.