Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Crazy critters

Our farm yard has quite a lot of trees, mostly Russian Olives, (hey when you live on a sandhill no tree is considered a nuisance)  with a few Elm, cottonwood and assorted other species.  So I was suprised on sunday to notice a pair of birds nests in the one ornamental cactus  plant.   This cactus is perhaps 6 ft tall.   Small bird, possibly a swallow, they do build nests in the darnedest spots but I suck at identifying flora and fauna, especially birds.  Its smaller than a robin and no red chest is all I can say now.  There are two baby birds although the camera keeps missing them --I don't take dozens of shots of anything and don't want to run momma bird off.



I took a very short ride on Shade this morning. Ole was so eager to come, he got tangled up behind the manure bin Sunday --I thought he had slipped through the fence dragging his leash tied to an old metal foot trap because I could not see him anywhere and he can slip under the fence on the north side of the yard. I spent nearly 2 hours searching for him because he wont bark when you call him and he is stuck somewhere, finally he got frustrated or something when I was cutting through the neighbors yard and did some barking and I spotted him after a couple passes. So today he made sure to stay in sight LOL, he was acting all droopy the last bit back home like he was SO tired/sore/hot or something but then he and Mia dog played very hard for 4-5 minutes immediately after we got back. They crashed into the screen door and kind of jammed it into the storm seal or something at one point.

No comments: