Friday, May 4, 2012

Hooray for friday

Jason has volunteered to be on call this weekend so I don't have to. All I have to do is finish reviewing a paper, by finish I mean do the whole review, all I've done so far is give the paper a fairly quick read. Yesterday when I rode Shade I noticed the rye grass in the pasture is already heading out. It will be yellow stalks they won't eat soon unless we get some cool rainy weather so I gave the horses about 2/3 normal hay this morning and let them out to graze.

 Its always so much fun trying to balance getting some benefit from the scrubby bit of grass that does grow out there vs not over-grazing and turning it into nothing but weeds. It should be re-seeded but without a crystal ball to tell me there would be enough snow or rain it wont happen since there is no way to irrigate to start new growth and the list of other improvements the place could use is quite long.

 Goatshead weeds are sprouting already. Usually they don't sprout with spring rains but its been that warm. I'm not buying the weevils this year, they don't make enough difference. I'll just coax dad to borrow the neighbor's tow behind sprayer for the paddocks and I'll have to get out there with a hand sprayer for the tighter spots. I have decided that just like I embrace 'better living through drugs' in terms of taking allergy aids and sudafed as well as ibuprofen etc I am going to take advantage of chemicals to control the noxious burr setting weeds. I don't have enough energy to keep up with just hand weeding and I hate having to disk them up after they get away from me because then sand blows in where the horses eat + the goatsheads love love love the loose soil and have advantage over other weeds that are not as obnoxious.

 I must set myself some goals and work on the socializing. I have decided I need to just force myself to get some practice and not worry about what kind of impression I am making as a start.

No comments: