Friday, April 27, 2012

Spring shots yesterday

Yesterday Dr Mike was out to give all the horses their spring shots + do lameness checks on Sadie and Shade.   I have a renew prescription for Adequan for Shade and recommendation to use the Surpass topical left over from Sadie's bruised knee and elbow on Shade's fetlock.

 Sadie is cleared to be eased back into work.  I am going to just longe and ground drive her until the new crupper arrives and I have gotten her used to it.  We drew blood for coggins test for just Razz, Shade and Sadie.  If mom would decide she wanted to come ride we would have to get a blood draw from whatever horse she would take.  Or if Lynn wants to ride Lady at a WY ride she can pay me extra to get the coggins but I wasn't going to ask Dr Mike to try to get it yesterday.  My trailer divider makes a decent 'stocks' substitute for vaccinating,  he just gives the shot in the butt.However drawing blood would require doing something different, as my dividers are too high to allow access to the horses neck --maybe an IM tranq dose in the trailer and then draw blood after unloading and the tranq kicks in --   Or maybe I could feed Ace ahead of time, anyway I didn't want to mess around yesterday when its questionable if Lady needs to go out of state at all this year.   

Lady did let Dr Mike check her heartbeat, guts and lung with the stethascope and he offered to see if we could do vaccinations w/o loading her but I said 'lets just not wind her up'  she was starting to give him the stink eye and I think she would have gotten up in arms with needles.  As it was I put her in the trailer with some hay cubes and she didn't even flinch for the shots, she just kept chewing.    What she didn't know was happening didn't upset her.   It makes me wonder what kind of weird experiences she had before she was just chilling out in a pasture in KS for 3 years before I got her.  She did rush on unloading but she is small enough that she can turn around in the narrower spot where my manger is.  I just got myself out of the way rather than trying to interrupt her to make sure she didn't scrape herself up.   Even the horses I really care about I won't put my body in danger when they in the middle of being stupid anymore. 

All the other big horses went pretty smoothly.   Razz was his pushy self, but not to point of being dangerous,  its just a nuisance.  Shade and Sadie were quite good, nice little pocket pony arab personalities showing --thank goodness Shade grew out of her "AAACK VET" stuff she had till about age 6.    And then we had the mini's rodeo.   Frosty had got in the pen with wild little Mojo and he just had to get into running around too when we were trying to get Mojo's lead.  Finally I grabbed Frosty's lead and got him reeled in and tied him up while Dr Mike grabbed Mojo and then dad held Mojo and that cut the mayhem down to a dull roar.   Then dad curried Mojo a bit while Frosty got his jabs and I caught Black Diamond in the next pen (easy) and he got his jabs (no big action but Dr Mike says he does not like the needles.)  

No comments: