Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Darned uppity filly

Cindy is lame again. I fear she has bowed her front tendon. She is walking gingerly on it. She also has a huge bite on her neck grrrr. Sadie has been challenging her a bit I think and either Sadie bit Cindy or Cindy was distracted by Sadie and didn't move for CJ and he felt the need to bite her. I KNEW I should pull Cindy out of that group but I didn't get it done quick enough and now my poor old mare is gimping. Dr Mike is coming next tuesday and then I'll have better information to weigh quality of life for Cindy. She seems kind of ouchy on the rear leg she injured this spring and I am fearing all over again that it may 'be time to send her over the rainbow bridge.'

Sadie has probably earned herself a shot at being a 100 mile horse. IMO it is a lot to ask of a horse, Grey was no way up to it. Shade maybe? could be, but I believe it would be a push for her since one pretty much has to ride fast(er) then we normally do during the daylight hours so that you can still make the 24 hour cut-off when you have to slow down to navigate in the dark, and she is just so sweet and willing as a 50 miler horse I don't want to ask her for MORE. If Sadie has the 'tude to be a b!tch already at 3 years old with the sweet mare that was her buddy the fall/winter after she was weaned she probably has the 'tude to be a 100 miler horse. She should have the genetics to do 100 milers easier than Shade, with her breeding so I probably wont feel like I'm asking for a HUGE amount in 3-4 years either, but if you are going to be a b!tch you'd better be able to perform.

No comments: