Monday, August 16, 2010

6 miles friday, 4 miles sunday ...

I'm not worried about no big training ride with only 2 weeks between 50's but I AM concerned that Shade was stiff on her right front on sunday. She trotted and cantered fine for me on friday but Dr Terry noticed she was stiff and or short striding on her right front. After he adjusted her withers he stretched that leg and then she walked off fine. She might have been walking a little off again on sunday evening when we started but again I think she trotted and cantered fine. I guess I'll have Dr Mike give me a lameness eval on thursday when he comes to do the health inspections, maybe I'll just go up to the ride and volunteer but not ride Shade.

On the home front: Dad is putting the wood (laminate) flooring in my bedroom. WooHoo, this means I'm sleeping in my horse trailer this week but well worth it. He finished the walk in closet on sunday and we moved my waterbed frame and stand into the closet so that he can start on the actual bedroom. He is really wanting mom to get over being sick and do some painting before he starts on the downstairs rooms I think -- but the plan had always been that he would start in my closet as it wont matter if its not perfect while he worked out how to install the stuff.

I have six feed bags of goatheads in the dumpster and 3 more filled bags. And probably 3-4 bags worth in areas where I would like to pull out the goatheads but see how far I get. I think I'm seeing signs of the weevils eating the goatheads in some places where I set them out but there is no way they were going to prevent burrs on the advanced plants I hand pulled, they only burrow into young green seed/burr heads. I don't know if I'm seeing any evidence of the ones that eat the burrs, but I do think I'm seeing some chewed up stems.

I *think* I have kept the fly population down this year, but some mornings -including sunday when Dr Terry was working on Shade and Grey the face flies are sure evident. I don't recall if its supposed to be a different species that hangs near the horses eyes or its just the common house flies.

I should feel out an acquaintance about maybe doing some ground work with Sadie in exchange for me riding her horses a bit. Her DH is traveling a lot for work and she doesn't have time/energy to keep up with 3 horses. I think I recall that she enjoys doing some groundwork stuff, she has fostered various horses for a rescue and doesn't start/ride them but has worked with ground handling if I recall correctly. I'm not willing to pay training fees to have someone just do groundwork unless they will be bitting and long-lining as part of that work but an exchange might work out. I have been very tardy about calling to search for a trainer and I really don't know why I'm dragging my feet on it but JIC its an inner voice/gut feeling thing because something bad would happen I am trying to think out other options.

No comments: