Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fun in spite of soaking ariats

Normally I HATE getting shoes or even socks wet. But I phoned an old endurance buddy last week and arranged a riding date and we went to Chatfield rather than mt Falcon since all horses were barefoot; I hadn't gotten my easy boot modifications done and ready to test yet anyways so I was happy to ride somewhere I could just go au natural as well.

It was great fun. We ended up going pretty slow as Lynn's friend's horse was a bit ouchy footed after the first hour but I didn't care. All horses took turns leading. Shade was pretty good about keeping a trot thru brushy areas where she couldn't see around the bend when she was leading which is great -- both she and I are prairie rats and tend to hesitate or slow when we can't see whats coming. We crossed the river 4 times. Shade was awesome. First crossing was shallow and she was hesitant and another horse had to step in and lead the way. Then it was a deeper crossing and the greener horses/less assertive riders weren't going in. So brave ms Shady Lady walked in. But its a good thing we were with experienced river crossers -- I was not doing real well focusing on the opposite bank and the water was faster than I'm used to and was I was getting a bit disoriented and Shade kind of froze too. But Lynn and Mari followed us into the water and then led the way to the opposite shore. I got my right boot soaking wet; well boots dry --I was NOT in any position to be sitting oddly trying to keep my feet up out of the water. Shade happened to be in the lead and went across a shallow crossing later on. Then after we had ridden a nice loop up on top we needed to cross the river again to take the nice footing trail Lynn suggested to get us home. This one had a grassy bank. Shade does not like mud. But Sonny was hesitant and Finlay did a 180 so I took Shade in front. She 180'd too and boy did I catch air. But Shade was not really worked up so I just asked firmly again and she went into the water. I was really trying to focus on the opposite bank but again we needed the others to pass us and actually lead us to the opposite shore. Got my left boot wet this time. Findlay let the way thru a wet/muddy section of trail shortly afterwords so I didn't have to see if Shade would lead through that.

I saddled RazzMo and took Ole for a quick spin that evening. I loff riding RazzMo, he is no angel but he is so dang smooth that no matter what he tries its nothing. Last night it was 'crow hopping' First time he has ever offered to buck and I am really thankful it did not occur to him to snap his butt up; with his strong back he could give probably give quite a rodeo. But with just deer hopping like he did it felt like nothing so I just got after him a bit and we went on our way the 2-3 times he tried it.

No comments: