Tuesday, June 3, 2008

of expenses and loose fingers

Ugh. I looked at pics of paso fino's yesterday and now I think Lady needs a chiro adjustment. Well I will get her one and see if she calms down, maybe beg some kids to try her out and raise her price up quite a bit. Folks either want an incredible bargain or need to spend enough money to feel like they bought a good one I think. Then if she doesn't go I'll have to go to the rescues and see if they can home her somewhere. I had this horrible thought intruding sunday morning when I was composing my first cut ad for craigslist and wondering how to specify what kind of owner needed. Kept getting 'you' for who should own this horse. Well I threw it back at the universe with 'only if you bring the human to ride her into my life' Not a thing wrong with her but I already feel bad for not spending enough time on my arabs.

Today someone posted an article on the epidemic of abandoned horses on a chatboard. I should have run from that with my hands tight across my mouth but nooooo, I had to jump in and re-state my opinion that the shutting down of plants is what has made things really inhumane for the horses. The article quoted Temple Grandin a bit and she feels much the same way but she isn't starting any flame wars. It just makes me sooo crazy that people who profess to care about the welfare of horses in general have passed laws and shut down plants so that horses end up trailered for many 100's of miles in double deckers. I have seen video clips of slaughter as done in the U.S. and Canada and it was not horrible. I'd hope to be able to just put my own horses down, but honestly if I was so close to a plant that I could lead the horse in and reassure it the bolt itself seemed quite humane.

Sentimentality can be such a mean emotion in its consequences. From people wont put their pets down to this predicament for so many 1000's of horses here.

No comments: