Monday, June 9, 2008

catch up post

First the good news. Shade is not sick. Friday I thought she was and started her on tucoprim again and almost cried. Mom's mini mare foaled and we set an appt for saturday 10:30ish for Dr Mike to check out the filly and look at Shade while he was out. The new filly is cute as a button. Mom however is wanting to get out of the mini raising business. I think thats fine and will put an ad on dream horse for her as well as mine for Lady.

Saturday, dr Mike took blood on Shade, he didn't think she was sick but wanted to get a CBC. He thought she had allergies. I was really feeling blue and scared, that she might need anti-histamines and never again be able to compete in endurance except maybe some winter rides. BUT I also thought well maybe she is just reacting to the garlic, cough free etc I've been giving her to get her over being sick (how ironic is that) OR its the *#*#@ moldy hay that mom has been salvaging, cuz 'its fine, it doesn't have white mold on it, its just dust' OH BROTHER. I separated her from the main group and she is not getting any alfalfa anymore, cuz I won't chance that the cleaner bales I had been picking out still don't have some molds and could trigger reaction now that she has a sensitivity. (if its that and not the cold medicines but I'm kind of leaning towards alfalfa mold allergies)

Sunday SHADE was MUCH BETTER!. Snoopy Dance. I wormed most of the crew. Need to get Cindy and CJ, they left and I wasn't going to try to run them down in the pasture. V has to do her mini's before Diamond and Frosty get re-united with them. She can use the ivermec liquid I bought but 'I' am the one with a job and a commute. I cant be doing all the crap for other peoples horses. Shade ran around before she let me catch her and no panting. I told her this wormer doesn't taste bad as she was giving me the usual resistance for oral syringing, I had to give Sadie 2 doses in Feb and she didn't mind the 2nd shot; OMG ROFLMAO, Shade made the funniest curled lip face after I dosed her. I swear she was saying. 'Well maybe a dumb baby doesn't think this tastes bad but I think its pretty crappy.' Later I rode Shade in the wind. She REALLY is much better. She was snorting at tumbleweeds and acting like a horse that hasn't had to work in over a month but she wanted to run up the hill and I let her, longer & faster than I had planned. She was puffing hard at the top when I finally made her slow down against her desire but she recovered to normal breathing fairly quickly.

Lady got wormed and was ok for it. I had the weight tape around my neck, cuz I took weights on the mini's and Sadie to get dosages. It was breezy and Lady was a bit snorty so I figured adding 100 lbs to the weight tape # I had from a few weeks ago should be plenty of cushion, I had to tuck the loose ends of the tape in my pocket to catch her. Well I was this || close to putting the lead over her nose, when she reared up moving away from me then I realized the tape was fluttering again and stuffed it completely in my pocket. Then I asked her to relax, rubbed her gums a bit and she was pretty good for taking the syringe. I don't know if that mare was just very aggressively NH or round penned worked by an idjit; or actually smacked around but she sure is nervous of anything flapping with a human on the ground. She's fine for plastic caught on the fence etc when being ridden so she is not just a scaredy cat of everything, only has that PTS type reaction with a person on the ground.

No comments: