Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why aren't I more rested?

I didn't ride Shade my 3-day weekend, only had to give 2 shots on saturday and continueing adding tucoprim to 4 horses' grain and cough free to 9 horses. Sunday I was despondent, saw whitish snot in Shades nose. Told myself to wait before jumping to tucoprim. I haven't seen much since. Monday I was going to ride her, just walking, doing some backing and lateral work but she ran off rather than let me catch her. Galloped hard a few hundred yards back to pasture and no coughing so maybe maybe maybe maybe she is pretty well recovered.

I did ride Lady saturday and monday. I am not a paso person. She was fairly good saturday, monday she wouldn't walk heading home. Its not rough but the corto really does not rock my boat. Feels like a 4 mph runaway, even though Lady would stop when I asked her. She's been hard to mount and monday after numerous circles around me before she stood still so I could hop on she wanted to take off right away and when I checked and turned her she did several fairly tight fast circles before she finally stood still for a couple seconds. Little too much energy from me feeding her up maybe; but when I got back I decided she needs to work on mounting, from the block. She was starting to get it after 4-5 mount ups, stop moving, now you get a treat and I get off. I don't think I can sell her to a green or nervous rider though.

Sunday I cleaned pens with the tractor. I did Lady's with the wheelbarrow sat and monday, and got Sadie and RazzMo's hot spots with the cart on monday, plus spread along the road fence with my apple picker. I really need to get a good poop scattering drag made. Heh, I should get something for the mini's to pull.

Then I worked on loading Sadie. She didn't think the store treats were much good and I couldn' t find the flax cookies I'd made that morning. So I got some pellets for her. That actually worked out really well cuz she kept her front feet in the trailer and put her head down to get her pellets. I can probably get a hind foot up next session. I think I'm going to want to get 1 hind foot then ask her to back out before we go for loading all the way in the trailer since she was nervous of getting out before. She's growing so it gets easier for her. Saturday I hopped on Grey and ponied Sadie. It went ok, in some ways I'm not doing a whole lot with her but then I think I am doing enough. The vet and farrier don't hate her at least.

No comments: