Sunday, June 23, 2013

seven plus miles today

L came out and rode Lady.   Lady was a good girl and led the way past the tree grove on the way out when Sadie was being a dufus about it.   On the way back I asked Sadie to trot by it.  She did that well but was going to take off when she was past it --couple of bouncy, high air canter strides and I lost a stirrup but she did let me slow her right down to a trot.     We did an extra little bit to the north today and then Sadie and I did some serpentine in the field while L and Lady just stayed near the irrigation ditch where it was smoother so their total was only 6 miles. 

  I grained while we saddled and plumb forgot that Lady likes to drink after her grain  She was Thirsty when we got back so that may have been part of her languor.    I'm pretty happy with Sadie,  she was a little annoyed at the start in the summer fallow but got over it quickly and did a good amount of extra canter and trot.   I think she is a natural for the distance riding if her feet hold up,  she did not get winded doing the work in the field.   She is such a natural, figures out how to move efficiently and not work harder than need be.   Which is good, as I am not some super rider that can really help a horse with something like that. 

No comments: