Friday, June 21, 2013

Just 4 miles today. Rode with L and Lady

I guess I have still not completely accepted the limitations of  L/Lady.   I suppose I should have been coaching L more the past couple of years.  She was getting along fine when she had more confidence though.  And I was somewhat projecting what I wanted instead of seeing what was there wrt to having a buddy horse for taking Sadie although there was definitely backsliding this winter.   So I was kind of crabby at situation when L was not doing anything new today, just that the little stuff she does like saying "MOMMY I'll have you check Lady's cinch"  was (extra) annoying to me today.   I am not Mommy to my horses --they are horses -- NOT substitute children. 

But Sadie did pretty good.   She is now yielding to my desires to ride alongside or in front of Lady and maintain a decent pace with no fuss and only minimal attempts to just go back to ducking right behind Lady.   Its not been many rides since I decided to make that change and starting asking her to come alongside &/or go out in front and she is getting into the swing of being the leader pretty quickly.   Pretty good considering Sadie was only 20 months when I got Lady so she's been deferring to the little white Paso Fino more than half her life.

I have to decide what to do to get conditioning work this weekend.   I think I'm going to just have to extend my ride from home although possibly dad would be up for hauling out somewhere.  But we have to stack some hay and he was off shooting the last 2 weekends so he might want to just take it easy. 

No comments: