Monday, August 13, 2012

So I guess I need to make a CL ad for moldy hay

And I need to be very specific with instructions for dad when I'm gone.   I stuck some hay from a bale that had just a little bit of mold on it in a basket, wanting it fed to Grey while I was gone because Grey is not super sensitive so if the hay is not really bad he'd be fine.  But dad must of figured I was leaving hay to soak for Shade when I got back vs me thinking he would think the hay in the basket was what I wanted fed right away.

And I think Frosty mini is allergic to hay mold too --I am however NOT going to spend $400 for tests for this ungelded, untrained for any darned thing, and unlikely to ever BE trained or used since I don't mess with the mini's and the parents would rather sit and watch re-runs of crap they've seen before than mess with the horses.   I'll try and figure it out for Frosty via trial and error and give him the cheap benedryl capsules.   No testing and no high dollar supplement for him. 

   Last week I 'thought' I told dad to feed only the new hay we just got and stacked in there and added an explanation with "I HOPE Frosty is not allergic to that hay since we just stacked it in there"    He heard it as "I think Frosty must be allergic to the crested wheat hay so feed the mini's brome hay (only brome hay in their area is stuff with some mold on it that I did not want fed to my allergic big horses)     Well Frosty still has definite hives this morning so I think it is a good bet that he is allergic to the hay mold.  We must have gotten some special mold that stirs up the skin vs just being a fine dust that sets up coughing, or both Frosty and Sadie are special and react via skin to the mold allergens.

I'm so frustrated trying to juggle what to feed to whom and trying to always get the hay next to the horses for feeding cuz I don't trust dad to set a bad bale or bad flake from a mainly good bale aside vs trying to feed it.   I don't want to feel quite this needed.  I want to feel like he would muddle along and his horses and dogs would be just fine if I jump ship.  




2 comments:

Gerrick said...

Possible solution, a whiteboard with who gets fed what written down on it.

Unless your dad is like mine and will not bother to read the board.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Dad is pretty good, but I like to select bales off the stack to be fed; and if a bale is 90% ok but has a bad flake that needs discarded I like to make sure that I am the one who opens that bale so I can discard the bad flake.

It wouldn't even be an issue if we didn't have this stack of hay that mom bought last year that was stacked outside and rained on before she bought it and had it moved into our hay shed and has had quite a few bales with some mold on them.

Oh well I love CL for getting rid of stuff that has become junk but might be of use to someone else.