Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I hope Boots comes home

Got home last night to find the door from house to garage wide open, and I had not shut the big garage door when I left for work, or else dad ran the dogs in the eveningand left it open.    And the cat was out.  Fairly sure he was in the neighbor's yard, I heard him and their cat talking trash to each other, ran over there w/o grabbing a flashlight and only saw 2 grey tabby cats and Boots was not ready to end his adventure yet or just possibly neither gray tabby was him.    I was reassured that he was hanging there, not out in the CRP where the coyotes would get him and dead tired and I slept like a rock.   Was hoping he would be around this morning but he was not.

 Oh well, even if its the worst he did have 30 months with us and he was a middle aged cat to start so I don't feel as bad as the young cats that I was letting be indoor/outdoor and they all disappeared over time.   That was what led me to decide when I got Boots from the shelter that he would remain a strictly indoor cat.

Gave Shade her Adequan shot today.   I was debating taking an extra one to booster after the AERC event but its only 3 more days and will be light riding so I think I'll not bother.  The stuff is supposed to be kept between 66 and 77 degrees F and that is hard to do on the road in summer and she shouldn't need the booster less than a week from this shot.   I should call the AERC office and get Sadie an AERC # and ask if I get a reassurance letter that the drug test from Aug 11 was clear.   It should be,  I'd be surprised if my normal not huge volume MSM supplementing with 'only' 3 days withdrawal was a problem although I usually prefer to stop giving it 4 days ahead of time,  but had forgotten.   But again I am wanting to have Sadie's AHA papers so I get the AERC office all the correct details and of course I don't have her papers at the office where I think about the fact I need to get her an AERC #  I'm such an airhead.

 Mom is pretty sure the side effects of the anti-viral are not the cause of her lung issues  and that the anti-viral keeps her from getting painful cold/canker sores.    I just don't know if any of the docs/hospitals have gotten a complete list of what she takes and run it by a pharmacist that is really good and would know if it was bad to take some of those things especially in combinations.

  But since she wants to take prednisone to keep the lungs clear and hope she can taper off that and keep taking whatever all else she is taking I don't feel qualified to say that the drugs are making her sick and try to argue her out of taking them.  I feel like she is taking too many drugs,  some to counter symptoms caused by others but that is just my personal beliefs, I don't have pharmacy training.

Plus I take plenty of stuff too,  I added Claritin to my Sudafed, not replaced the sudafed with Claritin for overnight stuffiness and I take a NSAID most nights and fairly often the full dose rather than just 1 pill and very rarely do I feel like "I'm pretty good tonight I can just skip the NSAID" and hardly ever do I feel like I want to skip my decongestants.   +  I do the nasal spray and take extra Mg + now a herbal blend that is supposed to balance hormones and does seem to be keeping me on a much more even keel.

 I feel more comfortable taking the herbs that Asian women have taken for centuries than asking my doc to test and put me on a modern HRT or a mood drug, but I do like my OTC modern drugs for my chronic allergies/stuff sinuses.    L is terribly reluctant to take any drug, even a Claritin and she is not convincing me to live drug free.   L has been sick a lot this year and is worrying that she is going to get WNV every time she gets an insect bite or is going to get sick from the Camel back, or we are going to have heat stroke just riding...

I'm just trying to maintain moderation myself and maybe I should get in mom's face a bit, because she isn't as sharp as when she got her degrees but neither one of us is ready to have me lecturing her about how to manage her health.  I'll try to put in a subtle nudge or hint more often and hope that if I'm right she gets the message and thinks it was her idea to decide she needs an expert to look everything she is taking.  If nothing else I doubt if it makes sense for her to be on cholesterol meds right now when she is having more pressing issues after the docs and hospitals have pronounced her heart health to be fine. 





No comments: