Monday, August 6, 2012

on plus side I rode 5 of 7 days ...

On the negative side I did not trailer Shade out for a longer ride on some hilly trails this weekend.   Only went about 6 miles on sunday from home.   Oh well,  I think I was partly making myself an excuse to not ride the 50 this weekend because that ride has been a long day a lot of times and was a long hot day last year and I think the forecast is hot, but I should have taken a moderate rather than short length weekend ride to prep for the 25 mile distance.  And I must look up the ride info and email that I'm coming, hope they have open registration on friday, most rides do, but they like to have an aprox. head count.  I keep forgetting to contact the new manager.   Old RM used to send out emails to all former entrants.


I rode Sadie 3 times and Shade 3 times in 8 or 9 days and Sadie  was pretty good all those rides but I fell off her riding with L on saturday.  We were only maybe 200 yds  from home and I was relaxed and apparently off center a bit.  Maybe Sadie got an insect sting, anyway she suddenly started jumping and I fell right off,  soft landing fall but I was holding the rein and she was still wound up and while not rearing was raising both front legs 18" or so off the ground and doing little pivots on her hinds.  I was a bit nervous she was going to step on me before I quickly got to my feet.   Got on and rode her the last little bit home.   L was "you're getting back on her?, oh I guess that is what you are supposed to do"  LOL.   Darn right and it was not like I had to shake off a jarring fall to do it. 

Poor mom.  She has been feeling pretty sick and miserable from the after effects of them scoping her lungs.   She also feels like dad and I are not adequately concerned or sympathetic.   I suppose we are not. Because mom has developed a habit of groaning about all her aches and pains etc and has been chronically sick at least 90% of the time for 4-5 years now,  we tend to just tune it out, especially when she seems to be just groaning and grumbling mostly to herself.

  Sounds cold, and I suppose it is; but dad takes her to the Dr when she request and so forth and I catch up her neglected housework and gardening and am available if she needs something.    Now dad and I should recalibrate our sympathy meters because mom is more sick than she was, but that 'boy who cried wolf' parable is applicable for more than just telling whoppers for attention.   With virtually no periods of her keeping a stiff upper lip and just coping silently I got mulish and developed attitude of  sod you for trying to force me to utter sympathies -- we are taking care of your horses and the house and farm and that should be enough without having to mouth sympathetic platitudes.  I can't seem to just flip a switch and turn on sympathy now.  Besides I tend to loathe people who are oh so sympathetic, 'you poor thing, that's just awful ....',  but disappear when you need something done vs appreciating the folks that might not voice a lot of support or sympathy but they show up when you need tangible help.


No comments: