Thursday, June 14, 2012

RAIN! Sweet

Raining here at work.   Not sure if I should hope its raining at home or not.  Hay guy has ~ 3.5 stacks, don't know if they are covered or not.    I certainly hope some rain fell or falls on the fire west of Fort Collins.

I am a bad horse mom.  Vet was out for health certs and I forgot that Shade has been coughing so I didn't mention it and have him listen to her lungs really good etc.   L was out and we rode and Shade had a nasty cough going at more than a walk.   Then when I got home and gave her her antihistmine in her feed she left most of it;  I didn't check if she cleaned it up yesterday when I put Grey back in.  Well if she has not been eating the antihistamine perhaps I can't say it wont do any good.

 I guess I will have to syringe her to make sure she gets dosed.  I should have known better than to feed her any of the dusty hay from the one last years stack that got rained on before it was delivered, I've been feeding the top bales from that stack to the mini's but some of the second and even third layer bales still had some mold dust .  Geesh I hope Shade doesn't get a respiratory infection and get knocked out for a month right when I was finally getting geared up to go to some endurance rides.  

Sadie is having allergic reaction to fly or other bug bites.   Dr Mike said I need to get on top of it or she could develop oozing sores and since this is mainly where the saddle sits that would be really bad.  So she got some benidryl(TM) and I ordered her a fly sheet.    Hopefully she wears the sheet w/o a problem and the benidryl kills the hives before they get nasty.    I bought a bottle of 1000 capsules via Amazon.  I'd like to avoid having to go to the store,  I just hit Walmart saturday, it was too hot to be productive at home and then stopped at Target yesterday but I was not thinking I should get benidryl at that point.  Doh, I have read folks talking about giving it for hives in horses before and had noticed Sadie was getting these hives last week but didn't connect the dots in good time.

No comments: