Friday, June 1, 2012

Curmudgeon today.

Gaah, I'm having to post here because I can't completely sit on my fingers.   Someone posted about their horse kicking at other horses 2x on a weekend riding trip.   Everyone is giving their usual flavor of advice. Is it vision issues or was horse scared & defensive, to you have got to lay down the law that kicking like that is unacceptable regardless of why the horse is doing it, take action to cut off the circumstances leading to kicking earlier etc.    I suggested the owner should retire the horse to arena only work and adopt a 'rescue' for trail riding  --not because any of the usual advice is wrong in general, but because my feeling is that it wont fix the problem.

  A horse that has been under saddle and out riding in public for years now and is pulling this shit?  An owner who describes staying on but being unable to keep the horse from doing a 180 to get into kicking position?    I just had a sense that offering any advice to correct the behavior or search for a cause that might be mitigated is just enabling right now.   This is a horse/rider combo that needs to not be out in public where another horse or rider could end up with a broken leg IMO.   But I expressed that opinion once and I need to not be starting a flame war over other people recommending possible fixes rather than seconding my "stay off the trails on this disaster waiting to happen"  advice that I tried to give in less curmedgeonly fashion than this.    I need to put down the laptop and get to the tasks of the day.  

No comments: