Saturday, June 16, 2012

Just puttering today

Feels pretty good not to have planned to haul out and ride or have a big project I think should be done.   

Benedryl 2x/daily seems to be working on Sadie's hives.   Hopefully I can get them knocked down and if the amazon order does not come right away she will be ok to skip for a couple days, and then hopefully the fly sheet works out and we can prevent them w/o needing meds.   No big deal to giver her Benedryl now, but eventually I want to be able to take her to endurance rides and she'll have to be drug free, and even if it wasn't the rules its probably not a good idea to do somewhat strenuous riding for 4-12 hours with benedryl in their system.  

In the "Its really dry this year file"   I was rasping Mojo's feet yesterday and the rasp was taking off some of his excess frog just like hoof wall.   That worked out nice for me, I have been having little luck trying to trim them with the hoof knife.   Not sure if I can't get the knife sharp,  or the frog is just that tough.  Can't get a hold of the mini frog with the bulky shoe pullers and can't find our old nippers.  I don't want to buy nippers when I don't want to use them generally and I don't know if they would be too big also,  hoofshoe nail nippers might work but I'd never have a use for those if they didn't work out for clipping mini hoof frogs.  I could see myself possibly moving to doing trimming and using hoof boots in future if I had more time and money was tight but I can't envision myself nailing on a shoe.   I'll ask our farrier what works when he is out on thursday.  

No comments: