Monday, March 5, 2012

My Bayrabs this weekend

Saturday was Sadie's day. Started good, she stood in the ditch next to the road so I could mount easily. First time I have not had to take her into the middle of the road and let her circle me a little bit before she was ready to stand still since the hunting trip.

There was a dirt bike coming down the dirt road. Sadie has been so good with cars that I figured I could just take her into the wide ditch area where she'd have 30-40 ft as it passed. She spun around and was acting goofy though so the biker stopped and turned off the bike. I said I had not expected her to be so snorty as I led her past after I dismounted. Waited till he started the bike and turned the corner before I got back on.

I do love how this little mare moves. Nice swingy walk, we did some trotting, I asked her to go down into the dry irrigation ditch and we did something different and stayed in the ditch back to the spot where we pick up the road. Cantered a little bit up the hill.

So back alongside our pasture fence, letting her be in the ditch and nibble grass, meet a car and a pickup is coming behind us as well and she pitched a mini-fit about the pickup passing her from behind. --The great thing is her mini-fit was just crow-hopping. I didn't want to circle her around cuz there are gopher dug soft spots in the ditch, so I just kept her head up but didn't try to stop the *extra bouncy lope* and she quit shortly after the pickup had passed us.

Good in one way because she has shown that she does not break in two when she gets wound up and she has only been ridden 2 or 3 times in the last month.

Today I grabbed Shade. Ole was straggling horribly and Shade was all "aaak, neighbor is target shooting" I would have led her past the shooting if the dog was sticking but he was way back and not coming when I called so I just went home and rode around in the paddock area. Sadie and Razz both thought THEY might get cookies when I asked Shade to come up to the feed trough I turned over to use as a mounting block. --heh, no cookies when I'm not riding you though.

The 'flat work' was ok. Nothing great for rounding at the trot or anything but not stiff and bouncy, or being resistive. I think Ole is a bit off today. It was warm today but not enough that it should have bothered him with his boxer/pitty short hair coat.

No comments: