Monday, June 6, 2011

Morning ride on Shade

5.5 miles. Went up the little hills a couple of extra times. Then I drove my p/u to work since I did not trailer out anywhere this weekend. Horse chiro was out about 10 am and I don't like to trailer and ride the day after the horse is adjusted. It is not a rigid rule for me, but it tipped me into staying home when I was having trouble working up any gumption to hook up the trailer and haul somewhere. Mom rode with me in the evening so Sadie had 2 rides this weekend. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun riding Sadie in the coming years. I am not getting any younger so having a horse that does not test how well I bounce very often is going to be NICE. But Shade has to keep on for a bit, I'd like to get her in the 'decade' horses club at AERC. I do not think she'll make the 3K horses list. We are only at 1400 miles to date and she is 14. It could happen, 14 is not that old but I don't plan to try to make it happen. I want to at least get some fencing done in WY and really should push and get a well dug and barn/quonset type building put up in case/ before the regime unleashes ZImbabwe/Weimar republic type inflation with their bloated spending and printing money to cover it.

Well I am just going to have a very modest riding season unless I get big fall streak and usually what happens is a minor injury or illness pops up in September &/or I start feeling a bit burned out so most likely a very modest ride season. But that is ok. Yesterday I dug out the clippers and took a bit of hair off Mia's chest and throat and just a bit on her tummy while she was outside. Then she came in the house and was pretty well crashed and I was able to brush out quite a lot of her undercoat, worked off and on for 3-4 hours over the afternoo. Poor thing got so matted in a few spots this spring that it made a few patches bald. So I'm kind of wary of just taking her to be clipped because she needs the hair left long around the bald patches to provide some sun protection.

No comments: